This is an easy recipe, that will come handy as a dip with chips, a spicy but light and fresh pasta sauce and also a spicy accompaniment to breakfast, as a topping for toast. If you have a ripe avocado at hand, add it for that luscious texture which only avocado can lend.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 6 whole spring onions sliced fine with whites and greens kept separate
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 1 whole stalk celery, washed and chopped fine
- 1/2 cup Jalapeno peppers or more if you like things spicy (If you are using brined Jalapenos wash them and chop fine) optional
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 500 ml Tomato puree
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 green peppers (Capsicum) chopped fine
- 1/2 cup coriander chopped fine
- Salt and pepper to taste
Combine all the ingredients and stir well, taste and adjust salt and pepper. Cool and refrigerate. Use cold or at room temperature on tacos, nachos and as a spicy side dish to baked beans.